On Tue, 26 May 2009, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

* Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> [090526 11:20]:
Aidan Van Dyk <ai...@highrise.ca> writes:
This has been raised and ignored many times before on -hackers... The
reason is because the tags in the CVS repository are "broken" (i.e they
are such that it's impossible to actually create all the tags), so the
git "cvsimport" tools that try to tags all croak on the PG CVS repository.

The tool which doesn't croak doesn't try and import all the tags, just
the sticky "branch tags"...

Scripts to "fix" (actually, remove) the broken tags have also been
posted, along with requests that if somebody is "mucking" with the
actual repository, to make sure it's known about, and access is "denied"
during the mucking period (access being any rsync/anoncvs/mirroring of
the cvs root).

Up to now I've always been of the opinion that fixing those tags wasn't
worth taking any risk for.  But if we are thinking of moving away from
CVS, then this clearly becomes one of the hurdles we have to jump on the
way.  Can you refresh our memory about which tags are problematic and
exactly what needs to be done about 'em?

Specifically, it's 2 tags, and I just remove them:
   REL7_1_BETA2
   REL7_1_BETA3

So, you are suggesting:

cvs -q tag -d REL7_1_BETA2 .