Tom Lane wrote:
Perhaps invent  pg_table_size() = base table + toast table + toast index
and             pg_indexes_size() = all other indexes for table
giving us the property pg_table_size + pg_indexes_size =
pg_total_relation_size
Right; that's exactly the way I'm computing things now, I just have to crawl way too much catalog data to do it. I also agree that if we provide pg_table_size, the issue of "pg_relation_size doesn't do what I want" goes away without needing to even change the existing documentation--people don't come to that section looking for "relation", they're looking for "table".

Bernd, there's a basic spec if you have time to work on this.
g...@2ndquadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com