On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 19:32 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> That's a very sensible suggestion, we should give a hint for all common
> commands SHOW, LIST, etc., even though we pick just one to implement.
>
> > That way we're not on the hook to maintain them forever, and we
> > will be
>
> > doing people a favor by introducing them to the backslash
> > commands
>
> That's a sentence I never thought to see written down

No kidding.

We are not helping users by introducing them to \d commands.

I will repeat what I said at the beginning of this postgres vs.
postgresql thread:

Yes. We should provide a single, well described grammar for interacting
with objects in the database regardless of client. I should be able to
open ANY SQL terminal, and type SHOW ME THE MONEY and have Benjamins
fall out.

The discussions of \ commands and psql are irrelevant to this thread.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor