On 12/15/2010 02:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  writes:
And the attached hack allowed "make check" to succeed.
I think the logic in tcop/postgres.c and postmaster/postmaster.c is
probably wrong. If we are using our getopt/getopt_long, we want to be
setting optreset, whether or not configure found one in the system
libraries.
Yeah, that's what I suggested earlier; but if your build *wasn't* using
our versions before, we're still no closer to understanding why it was
failing then.  Another small problem is that a close inspection of our
getopt.c says that it does reset "place" to point at a constant before
returning -1, in every path except the "--" case which I doubt is being
invoked.  So my idea that we were clobbering argv underneath it doesn't
seem to hold up.  I'm still feeling that we don't understand what's
happening.

Sure we are closer to understanding it. It seems quite clear to me that Mingw's getopt, which we have been using, has changed between versions, as indicated by the fact that on my mingw optreset is not found, but on narwhal it is found.

I haven't looked into our getopt.

cheers

andrew