On 1/23/2011 8:23 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 19:50 +0200, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
Another problem I found is that psql doesn't indicate in any way that a
FOREIGN KEY constraint is not validated yet.

Should it?
What command do you think needs changing?

\d table now only shows that there's a FOREIGN KEY, which might lead the user to think that there should not be any values that don't exist in the referenced table.

I also think that having the function for getting a list of values that
violate the constraint would be helpful.  Any particular reason why you
decided to omit it from this patch?

Yes, the consensus was that DDL was required, not a function. Function
was my preferred approach originally.

While I do agree that the DDL command should be the preferred way to validate the constraint, I think the function adds a significant value when the validation does not succeed.

That now appears to be an additional request from a couple of people. At
present, its easy enough to write the SQL statement yourself, so that's
non-essential, and maybe/likely won't make this release (not sure,
depends upon how other aspects go).

I understand.

There is no option to invoke this yet from pg_restore, which seems
likely to top the list of priorities. Would you agree?

I don't understand what you mean with this. Could you be a bit more elaborate?

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja