On 1/23/2011 8:43 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 20:33 +0200, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
On 1/23/2011 8:23 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 19:50 +0200, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
Another problem I found is that psql doesn't indicate in any way that a
FOREIGN KEY constraint is not validated yet.

Should it?
What command do you think needs changing?

\d table now only shows that there's a FOREIGN KEY, which might lead the
user to think that there should not be any values that don't exist in
the referenced table.

Neither \d nor \di shows invalid indexes.

What exactly are you referring to? An index with indisvalid=false looks like this in my psql:

"fooindex" btree (a) INVALID

And even if it didn't, I don't think we should be adding more deficiencies to psql.

Should we add validation for FKs when it is not there for indexes?
My feeling was no.

Desirable for both? Yes, but not as part of this patch.

There is no option to invoke this yet from pg_restore, which seems
likely to top the list of priorities. Would you agree?

I don't understand what you mean with this.  Could you be a bit more
elaborate?

The purpose of this patch is performance. pg_restore will be faster if
it uses this new feature, so I expect to add an option to reload data
without validating FKs.

Ah.  Right, that would make sense.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja