On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimi...@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
>> I still think you might be over-designing this.  Upgrading from the
>> pre-extension world doesn't need to be elegant; it just has to work.
>
> Allow me to disagree here.  The main use case is not supporting users
> that upgrade with extensions to 9.1, but to allow people working on
> their own applications to some day realise they could as well package
> their PL code into a set of extensions.

Sure, but we're talking about adding core code to accomplish two things:

1. Avoid the need for packagers to ship one empty file.

2. Possibly, allow the operation to be completed in one command instead of two.

This is not exactly cutting anyone off at the kneecaps.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company