On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 06/13/2011 10:25 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>>> Don't hold your breath.  We'll probably be making enough changes in the
>>> FDW infrastructure (particularly planner support) that making an FDW
>>> work on both 9.1 and 9.2 would be an exercise in frustration, if it's
>>> even possible.
>>
>> Oh joy. There's a GSoC student working on 2 non-trivial FDW's right
>> now, and I have a couple I've been working on. If we're going to make
>> the API incompatible to that extent, we might as well not bother :-(
>>

> If nobody bothers then there won't be any experience on which to base a
> stable API. In particular, I think it's crucial that we get working FDWs for
> MySQL, SQLServer and Oracle ASAP.

Yeah - MySQL is one of the ones I've been hacking on. It's hard to be
motivated if its going to need a complete rewrite within a year
though. I'll still have to work on it, as I've committed to giving
talks on it, but others might not bother to even start.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company