Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> But my point is: any FDW code Dave rights now is not going to have
> major dependencies on the planner that will potentially require
> extensive reworking in the future because it won't have any real
> dependencies on the planner at all.  It's not like we have an API and
> we're planning to change it: what we have to talk to the planner right
> now is little more than a stub.

No, what we have to talk to the planner right now is "look through all
of src/include/optimizer/ and call whatever you want, and maybe lift
some code out of src/backend/optimizer/ if the function you need isn't
exported".  I agree that a lot of basic FDW work can be done without
much of any planner contact, but as soon as you do get interested in
having non-brain-dead planning behavior in your FDW, you're going to be
doing stuff that way.  We're going to want to codify it a bit better
than that; but it's not going to be practical to do so until some people
have taken the plunge and written some code on the understanding that
it's probably throwaway code.