On 01/27/2013 06:20 AM, Phil Sorber wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2013/1/26 Phil Sorber <p...@omniti.com>:

>>> I guess I am still not clear why you can't do:
>>>
>>> stop_pg_via_puppet
>>> pg_isready
>>> while [ $? -ne 2 ]
>>>   do
>>>     sleep 1
>>>     pg_isready
>>>   done
>>> do_post_stop_things
>>> start_pg_via_puppet
>>>
>> because ! pg_isready <> pg_isdone
>>
> So you are proposing a different utility? Sorry, I thought you were
> proposing a new option to pg_isready. What would pg_isdone be testing
> for specifically? Is this something that would block until it has
> confirmed a shutdown?

That's what it sounds like - confirming that PostgreSQL is really fully
shut down.

I'm not sure how you could do that over a protocol connection, myself.
I'd just read the postmaster pid from the pidfile on disk and then `kill
-0` it in a delay loop until the `kill` command returns failure. This
could be a useful convenience utility but I'm not convinced it should be
added to pg_isready because it requires local and possibly privileged
execution, unlike pg_isready's network based operation. Privileges could
be avoided by using an aliveness test other than `kill -0`, but you
absolutely have to be local to verify that the postmaster has fully
terminated - and it wouldn't make sense for a non-local process to care
about this anyway.