On 2014-02-16 12:57:46 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Marco Atzeri <marco.atz...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 16/02/2014 15:43, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> Could either of you try whether compiling with the attached hack fixes
> >> anything on cygwin?
>
> > on cygwin32 bit it works, but it stops later on
> > sl -lcrypto -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -o psql.exe
> > tab-complete.o:tab-complete.c:(.text+0xa98): undefined reference to
> > `rl_line_buffer'
>
> > on cygwin 64bit, that I was not testing before,
> > something is strange
> >   -lintl -lssl -lcrypto -lcrypt -lldap -lwsock32 -lws2_32 -o postgres
> > postmaster/postmaster.o:postmaster.c:(.rdata$.refptr.environ[.refptr.environ]+0x0):
> >
> > undefined reference to `environ'

That's in this case because it's our own extern, that itself would
probably be fixable, but:

> So what we currently know is that on cygwin, some of the core system
> include files have been declspec'd, but others haven't; and headers
> for third-party libraries like libxml and libreadline mostly haven't.

it's not going to work for the external libraries.

> I'm starting to get the feeling that we're going to have to admit
> defeat and not try to use --disable-auto-import on cygwin builds.
> That platform is evidently not capable of supporting it.

Agreed. It's probably doable if somebody actually using cygwin
themselves would invest a day or two and work on upstreaming the
changes, but it looks painful to do indirectly.

> We seem to be pretty nearly there on getting the MSVC and Mingw builds
> to reliably complain about missing PGDLLIMPORTs, so maybe it's good
> enough if those builds do it.

Is there anything missing on that end?

Greetings,

Andres Freund