On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 05:10:49PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 03/29/2014 04:49 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:59:36AM -0700, David Johnston wrote:
> >>As my belief is that 99% of the uses of \d are for human consumption
> >>(because machines should in most cases hit the catalogs directly) then
> >>strictly displaying "Includes OIDs" when appropriate has my +1.
> >>
> >>Uses of \d+ in regression suites will be obvious and quickly fixed and
> >>likely account for another 0.9%.
> >>
> >>psql backslash commands are not machine API contracts and should be adapted
> >>for optimal human consumption; thus neutering the argument for maintaining
> >>backward compatibility.
> >One other issue --- we are adding conditional display of "Replica
> >Identity" to psql \d+ in 9.4, so users processing \d+ output are already
> >going to have to make adjustments for 9.4.  That is another reason I am
> >asking about this now.
> >

> I think Tom's suggestion probably has the most support, although
> it's not unanimous.

Are you saying most people like "Has OIDs: yes", or the idea of just
displaying _a_ line if there are OIDs?  Based on default_with_oids,
perhaps we should display "With OIDs".

I agree it is no unanimous.  I am curious how large the majority has to
be to change a psql display value.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us

  + Everyone has their own god. +