> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Greg Stark <st...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > I think this whole exercise has mostly just convinced me we should
> > implement an HTTP interface and reimplement psql as a browser app.
>
> I certainly hope not.  I've seen lots of browser apps that were nice
> enough to use for casual use by a casual user.  I've never seen one
> that was an effective power tool for power users, the way psql is.
> Now maybe they are out there and I just don't know about them, but I
> have my doubts.
>
> As an additional tool, to each his own.  But a browser-based
> replacement for psql, -1 from me.

We can integrate a text console browsers like links, elinks or lynx instead

and we can call a BROWSER instead PAGER when \pset is html

pavel@localhost postgresql92]$ PAGER="elinks -force-html" psql postgres
psql (9.4beta1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \pset format html
Output format (format) is html.
postgres=# SELECT * FROM pg_proc;

works perfect

[pavel@localhost postgresql92]$ PAGER="lynx -stdin" psql postgres
psql (9.4beta1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \pset format html
Output format (format) is html.
postgres=# SELECT * FROM pg_proc;

Writing html browsing into psql is useless now and I don't think so it is
good idea. On second hand better integration mentioned browsers can be very
useful.

Regards

Pavel