On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 06:15:33PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> > > I'm inclined to think that the audience for this is far larger than the
> > > audience for the cube extension, which I have not once encountered in
> > > the field.
>
> +1

I haven't seen it in the field either.

I'd also like to mention that the mere presence of a module in our
contrib/ directory can reflect bad decisions that need reversing just
as easily as it can the presence of vitally important utilities that
need to be preserved.  I'm pretty sure the cube extension arrived
after the CUBE keyword in SQL, which makes that an error on our part
if true.

> > Especially considering that renaming the cube extension isn't
> > exactly going to be zero work: there is no infrastructure for such
> > a thing.  A patch consisting merely of s/cube/foobar/g isn't going
> > to cut it.
>
> This is a much more interesting challenge to deal with, but perhaps
> we could include a perl script or pg_upgrade snippet for users to
> run to see if they have the extension installed and to do some magic
> before the actual upgrade to handle the rename..?

+1 for doing this.  Do we want to make some kind of generator for such
things?  It doesn't seem hard in principle, but I haven't tried coding
it up yet.

Cheers,
David.
--