On 09/04/2014 06:48 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 09/03/2014 11:48 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> Anyway, to get back around to the topic of PL/SQL compatibility
>> specifically, if you care about that issue, pick one thing that exists
>> in PL/SQL but not in PL/pgsql and try to do something about it.  Maybe
>> it'll be something that EnterpiseDB has already done something about,
>> in which case, if your patch gets committed, Advanced Server will lose
>> a bit of distinction as compared with PostgreSQL.  Or maybe it'll be
>> something that EnterpriseDB hasn't done anything about, and then
>> everybody comes out strictly ahead.  What I think you shouldn't do
>> (although you're free to ignore me) is continue thinking of Oracle
>> compatibility as one monolithic thing, because it isn't, or to pursue
>> of a course of trying to get the PostgreSQL community to slavishly
>> follow Oracle, because I think you'll fail, and even if you succeed I
>> don't think the results will actually be positive for PostgreSQL.
>
> Well put Robert.

Indeed, especially with reference to the size and scope of Oracle. Its
XML library alone is huge.

At best it's reasonable to hope for compatibility with a limited subset
of PL/SQL - and really, we're a good way there already, with most of
what's missing being down to missing core server features or things
PostgreSQL just does differently.

True "Oracle compatibility" (for procedures) pretty much requires an
embedded JVM with a rich class library. Since PL/Java seems to be dying
a slow death by neglect and disinterest I don't think it's likely anyone
would be tackling compatibility with the embedded JVM features anytime soon.

There are a few things I would like to see, like secure session
variables in PL/PgSQL. Mostly, though, I think talk of "Oracle
compatibility" seems to be something that comes up before the speaker
has really understood what that would mean, and the sheer scope of the
endeavour.

It's not going from 50% compatible to 80% compatible, it's going from 5%
compatible to 7% compatible. The most used 5% maybe, but still...