* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:

> >> Could you give an example of the sort of thing you wish to do?
> >
> > On that angle, I'm dubious that a format that allows omission of fields is
> > going to be easy for editing scripts to modify, no matter what the layout
> > convention is.  I've found it relatively easy to write sed or even Emacs
> > macros to add new column values to old-school pg_proc.h ... but in this
> > brave new world, I'm going to be really hoping that the column default
> > works for 99.9% of pg_proc entries when we add a new pg_proc column,
> > because slipping a value into a desired position is gonna be hard for
> > a script when you don't know whether the adjacent existing fields are
> > present or not.
>
> I wonder if we should have a tool in our repository to help people
> edit the file.  So instead of going in there yourself and changing
> things by hand, or writing your own script, you can do:
>
> updatepgproc.pl --oid 5678 provolatile=v
>
> or
>
> updatepgpproc.pl --name='.*xact.*' prowhatever=someval
>
> Regardless of what format we end up with, that seems like it would
> make things easier.

Alright, I'll bite on this- we have this really neat tool for editing
data in bulk, or individual values, or pulling out data to look at based
on particular values or even functions...  It's called PostgreSQL.

What if we had an easy way to export an existing table into whatever
format we decide to use for initdb to use?  For that matter, what if
that file was simple to import into PG?

What about having a way to load all the catalog tables from their git
repo files into a "pg_dev" schema?  Maybe even include a make target or
initdb option which does that?  (the point here being to provide a way
to modify the tables and compare the results to the existing tables
without breaking the instance one is using for this)

I have to admit that I've never tried to do that with the existing
format, but seems like an interesting idea to consider.  I further
wonder if it'd be possible to generate the table structures too..

        Thanks!

                Stephen