On 03/07/2015 05:46 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2015-03-07 16:43:15 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
Semi-related... if we put some special handling in some places for bootstrap
mode, couldn't most catalog objects be created using SQL, once we got
pg_class, pg_attributes and pg_type created? That would theoretically allow
us to drive much more of initdb with plain SQL (possibly created via
pg_dump).
Several people have now made that suggestion, but I *seriously* doubt
that we actually want to go there. The overhead of executing SQL
commands in comparison to the bki stuff is really rather
noticeable. Doing the majority of the large number of insertions via SQL
will make initdb noticeably slower. And it's already annoyingly
slow. Besides make install it's probably the thing I wait most for
during development.

My reaction exactly. We should not make users pay a price for developers' convenience.

That's besides the fact that SQL commands aren't actually that
comfortably editable in bulk.

Indeed.

cheers

andrew