On 3/7/15 6:02 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Andrew Dunstan (and...@dunslane.net) wrote:
On 03/07/2015 05:46 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2015-03-07 16:43:15 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
Semi-related... if we put some special handling in some places for bootstrap
mode, couldn't most catalog objects be created using SQL, once we got
pg_class, pg_attributes and pg_type created? That would theoretically allow
us to drive much more of initdb with plain SQL (possibly created via
pg_dump).
Several people have now made that suggestion, but I *seriously* doubt
that we actually want to go there. The overhead of executing SQL
commands in comparison to the bki stuff is really rather
noticeable. Doing the majority of the large number of insertions via SQL
will make initdb noticeably slower. And it's already annoyingly
slow. Besides make install it's probably the thing I wait most for
during development.

My reaction exactly. We should not make users pay a price for
developers' convenience.

How often does a normal user actually initdb? I don't think it's that incredibly common. Added time to our development cycle certainly is a concern though.

Just to clarify, since Jim was responding to my comment, my thought was
*not* to use SQL commands inside initdb, but rather to use PG to create
the source files that we have today in our tree, which wouldn't slow
down initdb at all.

Yeah, I was thinking SQL would make it even easier, but perhaps not. Since the other options here seem to have hit a dead end though, it seems your load it into tables idea is what we've got left...

That's besides the fact that SQL commands aren't actually that
comfortably editable in bulk.

Indeed.

No, they aren't, but having the data in a table in PG, with a way to
easily export to the format needed by BKI, would make bulk updates much
easier..

My thought was that pg_dump would be useful here, so instead of hand editing you'd just make changes in a live database and then dump it.