On 09/29/2015 03:46 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
I've read this email about three times now and it's not clear at all
to me what a issue/bug tracker brings to the table.

In my opinion, this thread is about a bug tracker, not a patch tracker.
We already have a patch tracking system which works very well.

Mumble ... the CF app works, but I'm not sure if it works "very well".
There's some ease-of-use issues I think, though we've now damped them
down to the point where the only really major stumbling block is getting
a patch into the CF app initially.

One thing to think about if we do adopt a bug tracker is how will it
interact with the CF app.  Ideally, patches that represent responses
to issues in the BT would be tracked more or less automatically by
both apps, if indeed we don't merge them altogether.

That was kind of my point, although I obviously am not making it clear. The idea that we need just a bug tracker is flawed and narrow in thinking. We want something that will integrate into our entire development work flow with minimal disruption. Otherwise we are just building a lot of infrastructure in different places for no reason. Properly configured an issue tracker would service our existing work flow including enhancing the commitfest process as well as helping us track bugs.

JD