Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> That's a good kluge, but still a kluge: it doesn't completely guarantee
>> that no one else connects while pg_upgrade is trying to do its thing.

> I was thinking about using GUC:

>       #max_connections = 32
>       #superuser_reserved_connections = 2

> Set both of those to 1, and you lock out everyone but the super-user.

You're missing the point: I don't want to lock out everyone but the
super-user, I want to lock out everyone, period.  Superusers are just
as likely to screw up pg_upgrade as anyone else.

BTW:

$ postmaster -N 1 -c superuser_reserved_connections=1
postmaster: superuser_reserved_connections must be less than max_connections.
$