On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 22:37, Tom Lane wrote:
> You're missing the point: I don't want to lock out everyone but the
> super-user, I want to lock out everyone, period.  Superusers are just
> as likely to screw up pg_upgrade as anyone else.
>
> BTW:
>
> $ postmaster -N 1 -c superuser_reserved_connections=1
> postmaster: superuser_reserved_connections must be less than max_connections.
> $

Well, first, let me say that the above just seems wrong.  I can't think
of any valid reason why reserved shouldn't be allowed to equal max.

I also assumed that pg_update would be attempting to connect as the
superuser.  Therefore, if you only allow a single connection from the
superuser and pg_upgrade is using it, that would seem fairly hard to
mess things up.  On top of that, that's also the risk of someone being a
superuser.  They will ALWAYS have the power to hose things.  Period.  As
such, I don't consider that to be a valid argument.

--
Greg Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Copeland Computer Consulting