On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <ma...@joh.to> wrote:
> Here's a patch for the aggregate function outlined by Corey Huinker in
> CADkLM=foA_oC_Ri23F9PbfLnfwXFbC3Lt8bBzRu3=cb77g9...@mail.gmail.com .  I
> called it "onlyvalue", which is a horrible name, but I have nothing better
> to offer.  (Corey called it "only", but that doesn't really work since ONLY
> is a fully reserved keyword.)

I've written an aggregate that does something like this a few times.
I think one time I called it "the", which is probably too clever, but
then you could query for the(project_manager) and similar.  I've
usually written it to not error-check and just return the first
non-NULL value it runs across, which suggests a name like any_old() or
whatever().

I actually think by comparison with those ideas, onlyvalue() - or
maybe only_value() - is not bad.

> I'll add this to September's commit fest,

November, probably.

> but if you want to bash me or the
> patch in the meanwhile, go ahead.

What if we want to say nice things?