All,

So the proximate cause of late releases are the following:

1. patches are getting kicked down the road from one CF to another, creating a
big pileup in the final CF.  This is exactly like the huge pile of unreviewed
patches we used to have before the CF system.

2. Once the last CF is closed, everyone goes off and starts working on the next
version, leaving a few people to handle getting the production release
integrated and debugged.  This is partly because nobody likes doing that work,
and partly because most hackers aren't clear how they can help.

So, I have a modest suggestion on how to change all this:

Let's do quarterly development releases and supported production releases every
18 months.

A 3-month release cycle would let people see their code go into the wild a lot
faster; basically we'd do a CF then a development release.  That would limit
pileup issues around people losing interest/moving on, forgetting what was
going on, and conflicts between various features in development.  A shorter
release/dev cycle is more manageable. By having supported production releases
50% less often, we could keep the overall number of versions we need to patch
the same as it is now.

The alternative to this is an aggressive recruitment and mentorship program to
create more major contributors who can do deep review of patches.  But that
doesn't seem to have happened in the last 5 years, and even if we started it
now, it would be 2 years before it paid off.

--
Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS