Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >Robert Haas wrote:
> >>
> >>+1.
> >
> >+1 what?  Are you saying this patch is good?  I don't think it is: the
> >previous sentence is written in third person, and the following ones are
> >currently in third person, but the patch changes the following sentences
> >to first person without changing the first one to match.  If he or she
> >(or they) want this updated, I think we should at least make an effort
> >of keeping it as consistent as it is today.
>
> The wording was Meh to begin with. If you would like me to spend some time
> cleaning up the paragraph as a whole, I will do that.

I'd rather you left it alone until we had some other reason to change
that text, then reword it completely.

> >I *hope* this isn't the start of a trend to patch 1500 files one by one,
> >each on its own thread.  That's going to be annoying and noisy, achieve
> >nothing useful(*), and cause backpatching pain that the "twitter
> >verse"(**) is not going to help with.
>
> So we have two choices I see:
>
> 1. As we come across the gender issue, we fix it as well as incorporate a
> gender neutral requirement for all documentation unless the gender is
> relevant to the context.

I support the idea of changing our user-visible docs, error messages etc
to be gender neutral, but going down to comments in header files seems
pointless -- until those comments need to be rewritten for some
different reason.

> 2. We do "one big patch".
>
> #2 seems to be a really bad idea.

Sure.

> >(*) I'm probably going to be expelled from the project for saying this,
> >but I very much doubt that female coders stay away from PostgreSQL just
> >because some files say "he" in comments rather than "she" or "he or she"
> >or "one" or "they".  They probably have different reasons for staying
> >away from the project.
>
> Wanna bet? There is a very loud movement about this.

I don't doubt that there's a lot of people with a lot of time in their
hands.  No doubt they are loud, either.

Are they going to contribute something actually useful after we fix all
the "he" in the code comments?  That's the part that I don't believe.  I
mean new features, bug fixes, more tests, code refactoring, better
system integration, new drivers -- whatever.  Heck, are they going to
answer more questions in mailing lists?

Anyway, this is a -1 from me.  If others decide that this is important
and want to do the job, that's fine; I can deal with the conflicts.