On Thursday 13 February 2003 18:07, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> Actually FHS says the opposite.  If the distribution installs PostgreSQL
> then the config files belong in /etc/postgresql.  If the admin does then
> they belong in /usr/local/etc/postgresql.  FHS is out of their tree.  If
> PostgreSQL or any other package is not critical to the basic operation of
> the operating system, it's config files shouldn't be polluting /etc.

PostgreSQL is as critical as PHP, Apache, or whatever other package is being
backended by PostgreSQL.  If the package is provided by the distributor,
consider it part of the OS.  If it isn't, well, it isn't.

This is so that local admin installed (from source -- not from binary package)
files don't get clobbered by the next operating system binary upgrade.  In
that context the FHS (LSB) mandate makes lots of sense.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio