Tom Lane wrote:

Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tom Lane writes:

I would favor a setup that allows a -C *directory* (not file) to be
specified as a postmaster parameter separately from the -D directory;

A directory is not going to satisfy people.

Why not? Who won't it satisfy, and what's their objection?

AFAICS, you can either set -C to /etc if you want your PG config files
loose in /etc, or you can set it to /etc/postgresql/ if you want them
in a privately-owned directory. Which other arrangements are needed?

The idea of using a "directory" puts us back to using symlinks to share files.

While I know the core development teams thinks that symlinks are a viable configuration option, most admins, myself included, do not like to use symlinks because they do not have the ability to carry documentation, i.e. comments in a configuration file, and are DANGEROUS in a production environment.

Any configuration strategy that depends on symlinks is inadequate and poorly designed.