Robert Treat wrote:
On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 12:13, mlw wrote:

My patch only works on the PostgreSQL server code. No changes have been
made to the initialization scripts.

The patch declares three extra configuration file parameters:
hbafile= '/etc/postgres/pg_hba.conf'
identfile='/etc/postgres/pg_ident.conf'
datadir='/RAID0/postgres'

If we're going to do this, I think we need to account for all of the
files in the directory including PG_VERSION, postmaster.opts,
postmaster.pid. In the end if we can't build so that we are either fully
FHS compliant and/or LSB compliant, we've not done enough work on it.

Robert Treat

postmaster.opts, PG_VERSION, and postmaster.pid are not configuration parameters.

PG_VERSION is VERY important, it is how you know the version of the database.
Postmaster.pid is a postgres writable value
AFAIK, postmaster.opts is also a postgres writable value.