Robert Treat wrote:

Seems like some are saying one of the problems with the current system
is it doesn't follow FHS or LSB. If those are valid reasons to change
the system, it seems like a change which doesn't actually address those
concerns would not be acceptable. (Unless those really aren't valid
concerns...)

I did not start this thread to make PostgreSQL FHS compatible, someone else brought that up.

As I said somewhere else, I'm an old fashioned UNIX guy, capability without policy. The patch that I submitted for 7.3.2 will allow the user to configure PostgreSQL with a configuration file outside the $PGDATA directory. That's all I care about. If someone wants to get on the FHS bandwagon, that's fine. PostgreSQL should allow that ability but should not require it.

http://archives.postgresql.org