Greg Stark <st...@mit.edu> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I thought we'd pretty much done that cleanup during the cvs->git
>> conversion?

> I guess I'm talking about tags. I'm not clear on the distinction
> between tags and branches names in git.

> Prior to 8.0.0 we seem to have tagged the first release with a tag
> that doesn't include _0 for the minor release and afterwards with one
> that does:

> REL2_0
> REL6_1
> REL6_2
> REL6_4
> REL7_0
> REL7_1
> REL7_2
> REL7_3
> REL7_4
> REL8_0_0
> REL8_1_0

Ah.  Well, that's a reflection of what those releases were actually
called at the time: we did not start using ".0" on major releases
until the 8.0 branch.  Compare tarball names in
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v7.4/
https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.0/

So we could go back and add tags like REL7_4_0 but it would be historical
revisionism.  Is there a particular reason to do it?  It seems like stuff
that far back is only of historical interest, so I'm kind of -1 on
corrupting the historical record with retroactive labels.

BTW, there are some missing tags back there, for instance no REL7_0_1.
I believe this is because we couldn't exactly identify which commit
corresponded to the published tarballs.  I'd be for filling in those gaps
if anyone can figure it out.