On 11/30/2016 10:46 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

Agreed. I just did my first commit with the shortened URL, and I didn't like it. If we want to use URLs, let's use the canonical https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id> format.

Do we know of an actual length limit that is useful to aim for?  If we
just make it just a bit shorter but it's still too long for a large
class of email readers, depending on the message ID format, then it's
not that useful.

Right, we can't control the length of the URL, because it contains the message-id, which can be arbitrarily long.

Here is a url with one of the long gmail Message-IDs that I arbitrarily picked
out of a recent mail thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/cab7npqthydyf-fo+fzvxrhz-7_hptm4rodbcsy9-noqhvet...@mail.gmail.com

I'll be interested to know if it breaks anyone's MUA. If it doesn't all we will
be arguing about are aesthetics, and I'm a firm believer in function over form.

cheers

andrew