On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not meaning to be funny or sarcastic or disrespectful when I say
> that I think C is the best possible language for PostgreSQL.  It works
> great, and we've got a ton of investment in making it work.  I can't
> see why we'd want to start converting even a part of the code to
> something else.  Perhaps it seems like a good idea from 10,000 feet,
> but in practice I believe it would be fraught with difficulties - and
> if it injected even a few additional instructions into hot code paths,
> it would be a performance loser.

It strikes me that exactly the set of functions that Joel is
suggesting could be written in another language is the set where
the declarations in the .h files could be considered for
replacement with static inline functions, potentially giving a
significant performance boost which would not be available if they
were instead converted to another language.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com