On 01/09/2017 05:54 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Jim Nasby <jim.na...@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>> I do wonder if there are parts of the codebase that would be much better
>> suited to a language other than C, and could reasonably be ported.
>> Especially if that could be done in such a way that the net result is still
>> C code so we're not adding dependencies to non developers (similar to
>> bison).
>>
>> Extensions are a step in that direction, but they're ultimately not core
>> Postgres (which is a different issue).
>
> I think this is a great idea!
>
> That way the amount of C code could be reduced over time,
> while safely extending the official version with new functionality on
> the surface,
> without increasing the amount of C code.

Even if you don't ever end up touching core Postgres, being able to
write extensions in languages other than C (like, full-featured
extensions) would be its own benefit.

Why not start there?  That is, assuming that Joel has gobs of time to
work on this?  For that matter, I know that Jeff Davis is quite fond of
Rust.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)