Tom,

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 01:16 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> writes:
> > In the end, the experiences I've had with pg_dump of late and trying to
> > ensure that pg_dump 9.6 is able to work all the way back to *7.0*, makes
> > me think that this notion of putting the one-and-only real test-suite we
> > have into the core repo almost laughable.
>
> um... why are you trying to do that?  We moved the goalposts last fall:
>
>     Author: Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>     Branch: master [64f3524e2] 2016-10-12 12:20:02 -0400
>
>         Remove pg_dump/pg_dumpall support for dumping from pre-8.0 servers.

Right... for v10. Last I checked we still wish for pg_dump 9.6 to work
against 7.0, as I mention in the portion you quote above.  I agree that we
don't need to ensure that v10 pg_dump works against 7.0, which is helpful,
certainly, but there's still a lot left on the floor in the back branches
as it relates to code coverage and the buildfarm.

Thanks!

Stephen