Dear community,

The concept will be the base for some of my work as a Software Engineer
here at Afilias USA INC. in the near future. Afilias is like many of you
in need of reliable and performant replication solutions for backup and
failover purposes. We started this work a couple of weeks ago by
defining the goals and required features for our usage of PostgreSQL.

Slony-I will be the first of 2 distinct replication systems designed
with the 24/7 datacenter in mind.

We want to build this system as a community project. The plan was from
the beginning to release the product under the BSD license. And we think
it is best to start it as such and to ask for suggestions during the
design phase already.

I would like to start developing the replication engine itself as soon
as possible. And as a PostgreSQL CORE developer I will sure put some of
my spare time into this as well. On the other hand there is absolutely
no design other than "they mostly call some stored procedures" done for
the frontend tools yet, and I think that we need some real good admin
tools in the end.

I look forward to your comments.

Jan