Dear Matthew,

> My goal is to have pg_autovacuum integrated into the backend for 7.5.

I know about that, and that would be a good thing.

> I don't know if it will default to being turned on or off, I'm sure that
> will be a discussion, but if it is defaulted to on, then this whole
> problem of having to train newbies about vacuum should just go away.

Yes. I really thing that it should be on by default, because those who
will need it more than others are those who will not know about tuning
configuration parameters. As I understand the requirements from
pg_autovacuum, it means that some statistics will have to be on by default
as well.

Good luck;-)

--
Fabien Coelho - [EMAIL PROTECTED]