Josh Berkus wrote:

Shachar,

Now, I'm intending to do the best I can on my end. This does have a
pretty heavy cost. It means that the OLE DB driver will parse in details
each query, and perform replacements on the query text. This is bug
prone, difficult, hurts performance, and just plain wrong from a
software design perspective. The current drift of wind, however, means
that the PostgreSQL steering commite seems to prefer having a lesser
quality driver to seeing ugly uppercase.

Hey, now wait a minute. As far as I can tell, you've heard only from Tom Lane on the steering committee (I may have missed some, though, I've been sick)

Exactly. Of the people I heard from, the wind was against.

Unless the 5 of us take a vote, Tom Lane speaks for Tom Lane, not for Core. Also, usually this list or Patches determines by consensus what gets in; the Core only gets involved in very unusual cases.

That's why we are holding an open thread on the "how" in "hackers". I'm assuming that once the "how" is sufficiently resolved, and the implications understood, everyone can make a better decision on the "do we at all".

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])