Mark Woodward wrote:
I am currently building a project that will have a huge number of records,
1/2tb of data. I can't see how I would ever be able to upgrade PostgreSQL
on this system.

Slony will help you upgrade (and downgrade, for that matter) with no downtime at all, pretty much. Of course, you do need double the resources ....

You other suggestion of setting the on disk format in high viscosity jello, if not in concrete, seems doomed to failure. Cool features that you and other people want occasionally rely on format changes.

Of course, you don't have to upgrade every release. Many people (including me) don't.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org