First thing I tried, but using virtually identical code to that which we use
with pg_dump it just hangs. The debugger tells me there's a deadlock - my best
guess is that stdin/out/err of the child shell & pg_dump processes don't get
redirected along with their parents. I'm testing on Windows btw - dunno if *nix
would be different.

/D