Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Jeremy Drake wrote:
>> I for one am greatly looking forward to tsearch2 being in core.  I
>> was very fond of the plugin mechanism, until I signed up with a
>> hosting provider.
>
> Yes, you have told us about your hosting provider before.  Just make
> sure your next hosting provider does not refuse to install database
> objects whose OID is a multiple of 13 because of bad luck, or you might
> miss out on full-text indexing again.

sure that ISP is a bit stupid(especially wrt plpgsql) - but tsearch2 in
the current version is actually imposing some additional(often
non-trivial) complexity for things like database restores and upgrades
so I can see an ISP wanting to avoid that altogether.
A fully integrated fulltext search could make that much easier(in a few
years when most distributions have picked up 8.3) and just telling
people they should switch their hosting ISP is not always an immediatly
workable solution (think contracts,migration costs,legacy apps).

Stefan

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend