FYI, I am not going to be comfortable accepting a final patch that
contains this email signature:

        This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN
        27 003 693 481. It is confidential to the ordinary user of the email
        address to which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or
                                              ---------------------
        legally privileged information. No one else may read, print, store, copy
        or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive this
        email in error, please return to s ender. Thank you.

unless you provide additional details on your contribution of this code
under a BSD license.

John Bartlett wrote:
> Hi,
>

> This is the first posting to the community of the WIP patch for the
> Updatable Cursor implementation.
>

> I want to confirm that the community is satisfied that the effort to date is
> in a suitable direction and to get comments on the development to date.
>

> The patch is in the following state:
>

> The grammar definition is complete and 'yacc'ed to produce gram.y.c.
>

> The functions transformUpdateStmt and transformDeleteStmt have been updated
> to process the cursor name and obtain the related portal.
>

> The change to save the current tuple id (ctid) into the portal, related to
> the Fetch command has been done.
>

> The ctids relating to the Update/Delete statements' TidScan are being
> extracted to be saved in the executor.
>

> The parts in progress are to complete the saving of the ctids from the
> TidScan into a list stored in a file, plus related searching the list for an
> individual ctid obtained from the Update/Delete statements.
>

> Unstarted as yet:
>

> 1)            Correctly process, in the database, the Delete / Update of the
> tuple from the cursor.
>
> 2)            To enable the cursor name to be defined as a parameter in a
> PREPARE statement and provided as part if an EXECUTE statement.
>

> The community may wish to comment on the following issue:
>

> 1)    At present the file that will contain the list of ctids is going into
> a new directory called pg_ctids, analogous to pg_twophase, and also stored
> in the pg_data directory.
>

> Regards,
> John Bartlett
>
> This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27
> 003 693 481. It is confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to
> which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or legally privileged
> information. No one else may read, print, store, copy or forward all or any
> of it or its attachments. If you receive this email in error, please return
> to sender. Thank you.
>
> If you do not wish to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu
> Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://momjian.us