On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 07:40 -0500, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> What happens to the data when the function is dropped or replaced?

Well, that wouldn't happen because you build in a dependency.

I'm not working on this, so don't expect lots of detail. The idea is
essentially to implement things the way SQLServer does it.

The function would need some care. It might even need a function that
writes a function.

e.g.
CreateRangePartitionFunction('{date1,date2,date3}', funcname);
ReplaceRangePartitionFunction('{date1,date2,date3}', funcname);

which would then give a properly designed function called funcname to be
used for partitioning, which would include tests to make sure a
partition wasn't inadvertently excluded from the list of existing
partitions of any table that used it.

--
  Simon Riggs

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq