Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
However, I have just about convinced myself that we don't need IsFirstByte for matching "_" for UTF8, either preceded by "%" or not, as it should always be true. Can anyone come up with a counter example?

You have to be on a first byte before you can meaningfully apply
NextChar, and you have to use NextChar or else you don't count
characters correctly (eg "__" must match 2 chars not 2 bytes).

Yes, I agree completely. However it looks to me like IsFirstByte will in fact always be true when we get to call NextChar for matching "_" for UTF8.

cheers

andrew