Magnus Hagander schrieb:
Since this is an actual API library, perhaps a proper fix is to create a
.def file listing the exports in it, the same way we do for libpq? And then
we could (should!) also filter the exports the same ways as we do for libpq
these days.

(see the exports.txt file in libpq)

I'll try to find time to look forther at this meanwhile, but if someone can
confirm that donig an explicit export list is a good way to go, I can
confirm that donig that fixes the build problem :-)

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
According to:

Module-Definition (.def) File EXPORT

whitespace is required between the name and the ordinal in a
.def-file, hence in the .def-file DllMain @12 should be used
instead of [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 you're reading the problem wrong. The 12 is not the ordinal, it's a part of
the decorated name.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
but, we are compiling C so the names shouldn't be decorated.

undecorating yields the same name:

c:\hannes\>undname [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Microsoft (R) C++ Name Undecorator

Undecoration of :- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

compiling a little test program:
cat >dllmain.c <<EOF
#include <windows.h>

DllMain(HANDLE module, DWORD reason, LPVOID reserved)
   return TRUE;

yields the same exported symbol

C:\Hannes>cl /c dllmain.c
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86

C:\Hannes>dumpbin /symbols dllmain.obj
Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.50727.762

Dump of file dllmain.obj

008 00000000 SECT3  notype ()    External     | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When creating a new dll with VC 6.0, same here

C:\Hannes\testdll\Debug>dumpbin /symbols testdll.obj | grep Main
01B 00000000 SECT6  notype ()    External     | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

as with libecpg

C:\Hannes\pgsql\Debug\libecpg>dumpbin /symbols misc.obj | grep Main
05E 000007B0 SECT5  notype ()    External     | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Am I missing something?