I've got a Dell 2650 set up with 5 drives and a separate app server connecting with
JDBC.  Since you've only got 5 drives, my conclusion regarding the best balance of
performance and redundancy was:

2 drives have the OS, swap, and WAL in RAID-1
3 drives have the data in RAID-5

If you can afford it, get the 2+3 split backplane and make the 3 data drives the
biggest, fastest you can afford.  Currently that means the 15k 73GB drives, which
would give you 146GB for data.  Make the OS drives smaller and slower if you need to
save cash.

If only it had six drive bays....you could use 4 drives for the data and do RAID-10.
If you've got the additional rackspace available, you could get the 5U Dell 2600
instead for the same ballpark cost.  If you order it with rack rails, it comes all set
up for rack installation...a special sideways faceplate and everything.

By the way, RAID-5 is not the best fault tolerance, RAID-1 or RAID-10 is.  And you can
certainly hot-swap RAID-10 arrays.  I've actually done it....recently!  I am of the
mind that single drives are not an option for production servers - I just don't need
the pain of the server going down at all.  Although they DO go down despite
redundancy...I just had a SCSI backplane go out in a Dell 6600 that has every bit of
redundancy you can order.  While uncommon, the backplane is one one of the many single
points of failure!

Roman Fail
POS Portal, Inc.