Adam Witney wrote:
Actually I am going through the same questions myself at the moment.... I
would like to have a 2 disk RAID1 and a 4 disk RAID5, so need at least 6

Anybody have any suggestions or experience with other hardware manufacturers
for this size of setup? (2U rack, up to 6 disks, 2 processors, ~2GB RAM, if

I tend to use either 1U or 4U servers, depending on the application. But I've had good experiences with IBM recently, and a quick look on their site shows the x345 with these specs:

• 2U, 2-way server delivers extreme performance and availability for demanding applications
• Up to 2 Intel Xeon processors up to 3.06GHz with 533MHz front-side bus speed for outstanding performance
• Features up to 8GB of DDR memory, 5 PCI (4 PCI-X) slots and up to 6 hard disk drives for robust expansion
• Hot-swap redundant cooling, power and hard disk drives for high availability
• Integrated dual Ultra320 SCSI with RAID-1 for data protection

This may not wrap well, but here is the url:

Handles 6 drives; maybe that fits the bill?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings