Bill wrote:
Ok, so maybe someone on this group will have a better idea.  We have a
database of financial information, and this has literally millions of
entries.  I have installed indicies, but for the rather computationally
demanding processes we like to use, like a select query to find the
commodity with the highest monthly or annual returns, the computer generally
runs unacceptably slow.  So, other than clustring, how could I achieve a
speed increase in these complex queries?  Is this better in mysql or

If the bottleneck is really computational, not I/O, you might try PL/R in conjunction with the rpvm R package. rpvm allows R to make use of pvm to split its load among a cluster. See:

I haven't had a chance to play with this myself yet, but I hope to relatively soon.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster