On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:16:44AM +0200, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:10:04 -0700
> Steve Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Is there by any chance a set of functions to manage adding and removing
> > > partitions? Certainly this can be done by hand, but having a set of
> > > tools would make life much easier. I just looked but didn't see anything
> > > on GBorg.
> >
> > I've done a similar thing with time-segregated data by inheriting
> > all the partition tables from an (empty) parent table.
> >
> > Adding a new partition is just a "create table tablefoo () inherits(bigtable)"
> > and removing a partition just "drop table tablefoo".
>
> But you have to add table constraints restricting the time after adding
> the partition?

Uhm... unless I'm confused that's not a meaningful thing in this context.
There's no rule that's putting insertions into an inherited table - the
decision of which inherited table to insert into is made at application
level.

As I was using it to segregate data based on creation timestamp the
application just inserts into the 'newest' inherited table until it's
full, then creates a new inherited table.

I've no doubt you could set up rules to scatter inserted data across
a number of tables, but that's not something that's been applicaable
for the problems I tend to work with, so I've not looked at it.

Cheers,
  Steve

      joining column's datatypes do not match