I inferred this from reading up on the compressed vm project. It can be higher or lower depending on what devices you have in your system -- however, I've read messages from kernel hackers saying Linux is very aggressive in reserving memory space for devices because it must be allocated at boottime.

Josh Berkus wrote:
William,

The theshold for using PAE is actually far lower than 4GB. 4GB is the
total memory address space -- split that in half for 2GB for userspace,
2GB for kernel. The OS cache resides in kernel space -- after you take
alway the memory allocation for devices, you're left with a window of
roughly 900MB.

I'm curious, how do you get 1.1GB for memory allocation for devices?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match