Please wait a week before buying Sun v20z's or v40z's from off of Ebay (j/k). (As I'm in the process of picking up a few) From everything I hear the v20z/v40z's are a great way to go and I'll know more in 15 days or so.

Regards,

Gavin

Steve Poe wrote:

IBM, Sun and HP have their fairly pricey Opteron systems.
The IT people are not swell about unsupported purchases off ebay.

Mischa,

I certainly understand your concern, but the price and support sometimes go hand-in-hand. You may have to pick your batttles if your want more bang for the buck or more support. I might be wrong on this, but not everything you buy on E-Bay is unsupported.

We purchase a dual Operton from Sun off their E-Bay store for about $3K less than the "buy it now" price.

From an IT perspective, support is not as critical if I can do it myself. If it is for business 24/7 operations, then the company should be able to put some money behind what they want to put their business on. Your mileage may vary.

Steve

http://archives.postgresql.org

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend