On Jun 1, 2005, at 11:42 PM, Stacy White wrote:

"we find LSI does not work well with 4GB of RAM. Our engineering find that LSI card could cause system crashes. One of our customer ... has found that Adaptec cards works well on PostGres SQL -- they're using it as a preforce
server with xfs and post-gress."

Any comments?  Suggestions for other RAID controllers?

I have twin dual opteron, 4GB RAM, LSI MegaRAID-2X cards with 8 disks ([EMAIL PROTECTED] system+pg_xlog, [EMAIL PROTECTED] data) running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE.

Works just perfectly fine under some very heavy insert/update/delete load. Database + indexes hovers at about 50Gb.

I don't use the adaptec controllers because they don't support FreeBSD well (and vice versa) and the management tools are not there for FreeBSD in a supported fashion like they are for LSI.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806